Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Birthday Happy Hour and a Surprise!

Sweet surprise planning husband!
When I was younger my parents used to joke that I was the queen of birthdays. I had one at school, one at home and one with family as well. I was all about the cake and the fun, what can I say?! I guess this still holds true since this past week was my 25th birthday. On the 25th of May. We just had to do something for that! My sweet husband James decided he would be getting together a group to go to a surprise happy hour. If you know me, you know I can figure out surprises in a hot second with just a small hint. And usually, James gets so excited about his great surprises that he hints away until I have guessed it. So with this happy hour, I knew he had something up his sleeve - I just didn't know what- and I was determined not to find out!

Photo Credit: Gervais & Wine website
SURPRISE!
Tuesday rolls around (the 22nd) and home I go from work to get ready for this happy hour. Not knowing where we are going I go into slight panic mode since you can't imagine different happy hour places can be in Columbia; either norts and a sorority tee or, on the other spectrum, nice dress and heels with the after work crowd- the joys of living in a college town that is also the state capital. So dressed in a white dress I get (hey, I have to do something with all those white dresses from my bridal showers last year!) and I close my eyes as we hop in the car to head to this surprise happy hour. 10 minutes later and a lot of guessing on my part (curiosity has not killed this cat yet!) and we pull up to Gervais & Wine!


I had wanted to try this Mediterranean wine and tapas bar for quite some time and I know I had mentioned it to James just once in passing- its not really his kind of place - so a job well done by him. We walk into the restaurant and James says "There is someone sitting there that you might want to chat with", I look and its my BFF Jessica from Charleston! She and I were best friends at UNC and Phi Mu's there and we both moved 'home' to our families in Charleston after we graduated! Jess had driven all the way from her work in Charleston to be there, such a great shock and surprise!
Twins!


Empty dishes and glassware means a fun time was had by all! 
Jess and I chatted while the rest of the group got there- James' law school friends who have become such great friends to me as well. What is great about Gervais & Wine is their tapas menu.  The group got a lot of different tapas and everyone just shared - such a great concept and one I loved from my time abroad in Spain.
Do you love surprises as much as I do or do they send you into full panic mode?

No comments:

Post a Comment