Thursday, May 31, 2012

Atlanta for the big 25 (part one)

For James' 25th birthday (which was 2 1/2 years ago for those of you keeping count) I wanted to do something big for his 'quarter of a century' birthday. We were just dating then but I knew (from the beginning) we would be married. His birthday is in December (27th!, even though I always mix it up with my Auntie Jill's on the 28th - oops!) and this was when we both lived in Charleston and if you know Charleston, you know its empty in December! I was able to book us a room on Hotwire for next to nothing at The Mills House hotel, a great hotel downtown near Queen and Broad Street on Meeting Street and we went to an amazing dinner at Charleston Grill, the restaurant inside the Charleston Place Hotel. It was one of my favorite nights and really wowed James!
December 27, 2009 - what babies we were!
That being said, I knew for my 25th we wanted to get out of dodge leave Columbia for the weekend and just enjoy each others company. After many searches on Hotwire (seriously, I am obsessed with that site. I even used it to book rooms in Madrid and London), we decided on Atlanta for the birthday weekend. I took off work on that Friday and Thursday at 3 pm off we were to the Intercontinental in Buckhead.
Credit: The amazing lobby at the Inter

The Inter in Buckhead was beautiful and in a perfect location, walking distance from the MARTA, and had an unexpected surprise - an Escalade to take us wherever we wanted to go (well, within two miles of the hotel)! Thursday evening we headed to Phipps Plaza to shop at Nordies  and had a great dinner at Twist. I picked up a cute pair of flats (thanks, Gran!) and of course, the best headband ever (you will not regret the $8 you spend to not have a headache if you have a huge head like I do!) James and I were up at midnight so he sang happy birthday to me and I opened my gifts!
Breakfast of champs!
 I woke up bright and early on Friday morning and drove myself through Buckhead traffic to get the best birthday breakfast I can imagine, Macarons from Maison Robert.


25th Birthday ice cream sandwiches!
We then got ready and headed to Miller Union for my 'birthday lunch'! I had read about MU's amazing hamburgers and knew that would be what James wanted! Plus, who doesn't like homemade ice cream sandwiches. We both had beers (who can resist day drinking on a Friday lunch during vaca?!) and I thoroughly enjoyed my ham and cheese sandwich! Everything at MU is house made which meant it was even more delicious. I can't wait to go back!

A look back on my 24th birthday celebrations in Columbia, what a difference a year makes (hello tan self and longer hair!)
24th Birthday cupcakes made by James!
Dinner at Mr. Friendly's, May 25, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! I hope you enjoyed your birthday celebrations! I totally read "intercontinental" in your voice in my head. HA!

    ReplyDelete