Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hatfields & McCoys

So last night James and I settled in on our comfy couch to watch an evening show. I had seen the previews for the History Channel mini-series, Hatfields & McCoys, but thought I wouldn't be interested in it enough to watch it for 2 hours and 7 minutes (yes it ended at 11:07).  James was, of course, all over this show and had been talking about it since we had seen the preview a few weeks ago.

Photo credit: History Channel

Plus, I am an old lady that gets up at 7 am to go to work (or 7:40 am if I really want to get a work out in push it. shower.dryhair.makeup.clothes.whatdoIwear!) so an 11:07 pm end time means I am asleep at midnight and don't really get to read at night, and who doesn't like to relax a little before bed with an Agatha Christie book? (Hercule Poirot for president!)


However, this gem of a show was not only interesting for my history major of a husband but it also had enough story line to keep even the most distracted person engaged for the two plus hour run time. Seriously, it was one of the best shows I had watched; it just kept me guessing and definitely kept the blood splatter on our screen. If I were a fault finder (oh wait, I am) that would be my one complaint; rather bloody, at best, but considering the historical context of the setting, the end of the Civil War and the fact that this is based on an over-a-century long feud between two families, one would come to expect some blood spills.


This is a three episode mini-series and the second part plays tonight at 9 pm. You can bet that we will be glued to the telly tonight like we were last night to see what will happen next - who do you side with, the Hatfields or the McCoys?

No comments:

Post a Comment