Thursday, June 21, 2012

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things...

Are there things that no matter what, can always cheer you up?
1. Laughter
When I was at UNC and I would have a bad day, I would call either my mom or my dad. If it was my dad, we would talk about the problem and try to find a solution.
If it was my mom, she would tell me she loved me and then would go tell me to watch Bon Qui Qui and my day would be better.

Sometimes you need someone to help you solve your problems and sometimes you just need a good laugh! My college loves would climb into my twin bed with me (at the Phi Mu house!) and we would just die laughing at Bon Qui Qui. I say the words "I will cut you" so much one of my current work colleagues asked me if I had knife skills. I had to watch myself after that - I work for a public university and don't need to be fired over my taste in hilariously funny you tube videos.

2. Flowers
My very sweet father in law, Tom, sent me a bouquet of beautiful lillies to my office. I absolutley love flowers and was so surprised to see the UPS man deliver them on Tuesday that I told him he must have the wrong office! They have bloomed beautifully and make me smile instantly when I walk into my office!
I also collect flowers around USC from our great grounds crews. My office is usually filled with either hydrangeas or a beautiful magnolia flower. The smell of the magnolia is almost lemon like and fills my small office quite quickly. How can you not smile when there is a beautiful blooming flower sitting on your desk?


Magnolia from campus

Magnolias from campus. Amazing scent!


3. Mani/Pedi/Hair cut
Beyond keeping James and I with a roof over our head and food in our bellies, I really don't have a lot of responsibilities. I am not stressed from work (I was in my previous job and I am so thankful to not have that now!) and I have a wonderful husband who is pretty low maintenance (at times!). So why do I feel this great pressure to perform as a wife, friend, sister, daughter, employee, cook, housekeeper? A lot is self imposed stress that is completely unnecessary but I feel like I will always have it. One of the ways I unwind and really relax is to be pampered. I love a massage. Every time one comes on Groupon James will email me to see if I am going to buy it. I actually have one scheduled next week! A mani and pedi also calms any nerves I may have and of course, I love a haircut! Sometimes if I need a pick me up in a big way I will stop in and get a pedi. The mani's I really try to save for special occasions.
Love my cajun shrimp shellac!
At the hair salon after having my nails done!

No comments:

Post a Comment